Micromanagement  

Anonymousposter
(@anonymousposter)
09/08/2018 9:44 am  

What are the typical behaviours of micromanagement?

ceejay
(@ceejay)
09/08/2018 7:09 pm  

micro-managing ... mmm ... let's see ... how about a manager who:

doesn't ask for meeting agenda suggestions - but writes it himself (and yes, it's usually a male manager, sadly)

dominates what are meant to be team discussion meetings - which are more like "lectures" 

manages by "Walking Around" - not to praise, congratulate, encourage, help - but to check what's on computer screens, listening in to telephone calls, demanding to know why someone is not at their desk or position, visibly checking his watch to see who's late starting or late back from lunch

and most damaging of all:

rarely delegating tasks, activities, which could help team members to develop their skills and knowledge

not fully informing individuals and-or the team about changes, new developments

rarely agreeing to training activities

never passing on praise received from internal or external customers

claiming responsibility for successes

In a nutshell, someone who should be locked in a dungeon and the key then being thrown away !!

ReplyQuote
Carla SBS
(@carla-sbs)
Member Admin
10/08/2018 12:30 pm  

Locked in a dungeon??? - a bit extreme!!!  Most managers who micromanage are either not confident in their own management abilities or not confident in their staff  - they need to improve their management skills and learn how to delegate...they also may not be getting any support from their managers.

ReplyQuote
Stuart
(@stuart)
13/08/2018 4:04 pm  

A tough culture and environment to work in. Seems very demanding at the time and in my experience demotivates and reduces enthusiasm to do the job.  I have found this environment suffocating and counters creative thinking with control of most things/tasks which are expected within your role. Most annoying and demotivational where the opportunity to contribute and make a difference doesn't exist. 

The behaviours I have witnessed in micromanagement are controlling bosses, ones that interfere and prevent progress, they want involvement and when things go right, they are there to take accolades and yet when things don't go to plan they are the first to point blame elsewhere. They won't take responsible for these actions, errors or mistakes but will take accountability for successes. I also found implementing a new approach becomes exhausting, trying to justify why its important to look at a different methods. If you don't trust your boss, your boss doesn't trust you and shows little confidence in your capability, praise doesn't have the appropriate intention as there is an under lying agenda and you feel exhaustive after progress discussions as you aren't listened to, then I'd suggest you are working for a micro-manager.  

ReplyQuote
Share: