When the manager is...

When the manager is wrong  

Anonymousposter
(@anonymousposter)
18/08/2018 9:17 pm  

Have you ever thought your manager was making the wrong decision and how did you deal with it? Is there a good way of handling the situation or should you never question your manager's authority? 

ceejay
(@ceejay)
23/08/2018 4:24 pm  

If the manager is a good one - who cares about and has a positive relationship with the team and team members, tries hard to make the right decisions, whilst doing their best to achieve the objectives set by the organisation, then they are also likely to be willing to have their decisions questioned occasionally. If it's a manager who thinks they are always right - a direct descendant from the gods - then challenging them is likely to be met with a hostile response.

I was in a team meeting once, many decades ago, in which I questioned my immediate line manager - the head of a college division - over a decision she'd made. Her response was to reach over, grab me by the throat and asked me to step outside to "sort this out".

Thankfully, a senior colleague separated us, called the meeting to an end, and gave us both a severe reprimand. 

I was very grateful, as if we had started to fight, I'd probably have lost :((

ReplyQuote
Share: